ENTERTAINMENT

Disgraced celebrity chef Mario Batali opts for non-jury trial in sexual misconduct case

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Celebrity chef Mario Batali has waived his right to a jury trial and is opting to have a judge decide his fate in his sexual misconduct trial in Boston.

Batali confirmed the decision to Boston Municipal Court Judge James Stanton as the trial opened Monday morning.

Batali pleaded not guilty to a charge of indecent assault and battery in 2019, stemming from accusations that he forcibly kissed and groped a woman after taking a selfie with her at a Boston restaurant in 2017. The woman says Batali noticed her photographing him and invited her to take one together, then touched and kissed her repeatedly without her consent.

If convicted, Batali could face up to 2 1/2 years in jail and be required to register as a sex offender. He’s expected to be in court throughout the proceedings, which should last about two days.

Mario Batali’s fall from grace continues in Boston.
(Pool via WBZ)

CHEF MARIO BATALI SEXUAL MISCONDUCT TRIAL SET TO BEGIN IN BOSTON

Lawyers for Batali didn’t comment ahead of the start of trial Monday in Boston Municipal Court. The chef’s lawyers have previously said the charge is without merit.

His accuser has also filed a lawsuit against Batali seeking unspecified damages for “severe emotional distress” that’s still pending in Suffolk County Superior Court in Boston. Her lawyer said he and his client would reserve comment until the criminal trial is concluded.

Batali is among a number of high-profile men who have faced a public reckoning during the #MeToo social movement against sexual abuse and harassment in recent years.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER

Celebrity chef Mario Batali, seen here on Monday, is accused of forcibly kissing and groping a woman at a Boston restaurant in 2017.

Celebrity chef Mario Batali, seen here on Monday, is accused of forcibly kissing and groping a woman at a Boston restaurant in 2017.
(Pool via WBZ)

The 61-year-old was once a Food Network fixture on shows like “Molto Mario” and “Iron Chef America.” But the ponytail-and-orange Croc-wearing personality’s high-flying career crumbled amid sexual misconduct allegations.

Four women accused him of inappropriate touching in 2017, after which he stepped down from day-to-day operations at his restaurant empire and left the since-discontinued ABC cooking show “The Chew.”

Batali has offered an apology, acknowledging the allegations “match up” with ways he has acted.

“I have made many mistakes and I am so very sorry that I have disappointed my friends, my family, my fans and my team,” he said in an email newsletter at the time. “My behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Celebrity chef Mario Batali talks during an interview at his restaurant, Del Posto, in New York April 11, 2006.

Celebrity chef Mario Batali talks during an interview at his restaurant, Del Posto, in New York April 11, 2006.
(Reuters/Brendan McDermid)

Last year, Batali, his business partner and their New York City restaurant company agreed to pay $600,000 to resolve a four-year investigation by the New York Attorney General’s Office into allegations that Batali, restaurant managers and other workers sexually harassed employees.

In Boston, he opened a branch of the popular Italian food marketplace Eataly in the downtown Prudential Center in 2016 as well as a Babbo Pizzeria e Enoteca in the city’s Seaport District in 2015.

Batali has since been bought out of his stake in Eataly, which still has dozens of locations worldwide, including in Boston, and the Babbo restaurant in the city has since closed.

Follow On Google News

Share this news on your Fb,Twitter and Whatsapp

File source

Times News Express – Breaking News Updates – Latest News Headlines
Times News Express||USA NEWS||WORLD NEWS||CELEBRITY NEWS||POLITICS||TOP STORIES

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Close