Man, 19, charged in Lincoln Park shooting, robbery that left man fighting for life: Chicago police

CHICAGO (WLS) — A 19-year-old Oak Park man has been charged in a violent robbery and shooting in the Lincoln Park neighborhood that left a 23-year-old man fighting for his life.

Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown said Tyshon Brownlee was charged with attempted murder and armed robbery in connection with the attack on Dakotah Earley.

WATCH: ‘We will not tolerate violence’: Police announce charges in Lincoln Park shooting

Brownlee was arrested Sunday in Oak Park.

He also faces armed robbery charges in connection with incidents on May 5 and 6:

– 2600-block of North Racine Avenue, 20-year-old man
– 3000-block of North Racine, 22-year-old woman
– 1100-block of West Barry Avenue, 28-year-old woman
– 1100-block of West Fullerton Avenue, 18-year-old man

Chicago Police believe Brownlee has also been involved with a robbery crew that is responsible for an extensive pattern of armed robberies over the previous two weeks, across Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Edgewater and Uptown, 2nd Ward Alderman Brian Hopkins said.

In those attacks, suspects wearing ski masks were driving stolen cars around residential neighborhoods in the overnight hours, looking for unsuspecting people walking alone or in small groups.

They would then jump suddenly from the vehicle with guns drawn to rob their victims of phones, purses and wallets.

Earley’s shooting was caught on surveillance video. The recent culinary school graduate could be seen walking near Wayne and Webster avenues when he was approached by an armed robber.

WATCH | Man struggles with suspect before Lincoln Park shooting

They were seen engaging in a brief struggle before Earley was shot three times as the robber continued to demand Earley disclose his cell phone’s passcode.
On Friday, Earley’s brother posted an update on GoFundMe, saying Dakotah is no longer on life support.

Over the weekend, Earley’s leg was amputated below the knee due to injuries he suffered in the shooting. He has also undergone jaw surgery, and is currently unable to speak.

On Tuesday morning, his mother was flying from Atlanta, where she lives, back to Chicago.

She said her son is in good spirits. He is now breathing on his own.

She said she was happy to hear that police have a suspect in custody for her son’s shooting.

“I’m glad that they have a suspect. I hope that it’s that person, and I hope, I mean, if it’s a crew, then I hope they get the rest of them,” Joy Dobbs said.
It’s been very difficult for Dobbs to watch her 23-year-old son fight for his life in the hospital.

“Nobody should have to go through this. And especially for the world to see,” she said. “I just remember screaming … because I knew it was him just walking down the street, like I know how he walks. And just to hear him screaming, and I couldn’t do anything, I just lost control.”

But, he’s improving every day.

“He’s a fighter, he’s resilient and I’m just so proud of him,” Dobbs said.

Brownlee is due in court Tuesday.

Copyright © 2022 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Share this news on your Fb,Twitter and Whatsapp

File source

Times News Express – Breaking News Updates – Latest News Headlines

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button