Chaos in Europa League as fans clash inside French stadium

Crowd trouble causes first-half delay in Europa League match between Marseille and Galatasaray

A Europa League game between Marseille and Galatasaray was interrupted for about 10 minutes after rival fans threw flares and firecrackers at each other.

The match finished 0-0 but pockets of rival fans were fighting inside the stadium more than 30 minutes after the final whistle.

Videos posted on social media before the game showed fans from both sides lighting flares and singing outside the stadium in the southern French city.

Tensions inside the Stade Vélodrome boiled over just before half-time as the sound of firecrackers boomed around the 67,394 capacity ground.

Objects were thrown in both directions, despite an increased security presence and a buffer zone between rival fans.

A flare is thrown at Marseille fans
Flares were thrown between the two sets of supporters.(AP: Daniel Cole)

Referee Pawe Raczkowski halted the match as police intervened to restore order.

Galatasaray coach Fatih Terim went over in an attempt to placate the nearly 2,500 travelling supporters, while the Turkish side’s captain Fernando Muslera and his Marseille counterpart Dimitri Payet did the same.

The match resumed with about eight minutes left in the first half with the sound of firecrackers still going off, echoing loudly around the packed stands.

There were brief clashes between stewards and some Marseille fans early in the second half.

Marseille was recently involved in fan violence during a French league game at Angers.

There was also serious disorder at the Nice-Marseille match last month. It was suspended and will be replayed next month.

In a separate French league match this month, fans threw ripped-up seats and tried to fight each other at half-time during the northern derby between Lens and Lille.

Ange Postecoglou’s Celtic hammered by Bayer Leverkusen

Ange Postecoglou leans back with his hands above his head
Ange Postecoglou said his Celtic team gifted their opponents too many chances.(PA via AP: Andrew Milligan)

Elsewhere in the Europa League, Celtic suffered a second-straight European loss, going down 4-0 to German side Bayer Leverkusen at Parkhead.

Defensive errors haunted Postecoglou’s side, with midfielder David Turnbull losing his footing for Leverkusen’s first, scored by Piero Hincapié.

Florian Wirtz added a second before half time, with a Lucal Alario penalty and a stoppage-time finish by Amine Adli rounding out the scoring.

Postecogou called the home defeat “disappointing” and acknowledged that his side had helped the opposition with some basic errors.

“We can’t keep disappointing our supporters,” the Australian told Celtic TV after the game.

“We’ve had disruptions, we’ve had issues with the squad and the team … we’ve gotta take the pain and disappointment we’ve experienced tonight as motivation to fuel the fire for the game on Sunday [against Aberdeen in the Scottish Premiership].

“If we just keep putting it to one side and hoping things will turn around, it just won’t happen that way.”

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button