What’s so special about a career in cybersecurity?
- According to Cybersecurity Ventures, there are going to be 3.5 million cybersecurity jobs by the end of 2021.
- The global cybersecurity market is projected to grow by 11.1% year-over-year and is expected to reach USD 282.3 billion by 2024. Based on
CISSP Fast Facts:
- CISSPs are working today in almost 160 countries. Whoa!
- The CISSP exam is available in 8 languages at a huge 882 locations in 114 countries.
- There are more than 147,591 (ISC)2 members who hold CISSP certification, as of January 1, 2021.
- Nearly 93% of CISSP certification holders are lifers.
- CISSP is rendered as the first credential for information security that is meant to meet the stern conditions of ISO/IEC Standard 17024.
- LinkedIn states CISSP as the most required information security credential.
- It is approved by the DoD (Department of Defense)
- The average annual salary of a CISSP holder is around USD 131,030.
The data points mentioned above can surely make you think of a career in cybersecurity with a CISSP certification added to your resume.
Why is there a strong need for cybersecurity?
For obvious reasons, when the personal data of thousands of millions of people is at stake, an organization needs a strong system for cybersecurity. The last decade has seen a drastic change in the ways we shop or pay bills or do other routine tasks. Now, generally, we don’t think before sharing our personal details such as UID or bank account number.
When we render services from any internet-based service provider, we share our details like contact number, identification number, etc. So, it is the company’s responsibility to provide security to its customers to retain them and gain new ones.
Now, let us look at what CISSP is and how you can earn the certification.
What is CISSP?
CISSP or Certified Information Systems Security Professional is a credential developed by the International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium or (ISC)2. The CISSP is a vendor-neutral, globally recognized standard that attests to an IT security professional’s technical skills, knowledge, and hands-on experience in developing, managing, and implementing a security program.
CISSP is considered the most sought-after certification by IT professionals. This is because the recruiting organizations always prefer the candidates who have CISSP certification in their resume as this serves as a testimonial proving that you have the required knowledge about cybersecurity and you are capable of building a cybersecurity system for your company.
With a CISSP, you can validate your expertise in the domain and become a member of (ISC)2 to unlock a wide range of educational tools, exclusive resources, and peer-to-peer network opportunities. This certification demonstrates that you have what it takes to efficiently design, implement, and maintain a best-in-class IT security program.
Who can earn the CISSP?
You can earn the CISSP certification if you are one of them:
- Chief Information Officer
- Chief Information Security Officer
- Security Analyst
- Security Systems Engineer
- Director of Security
- IT Director/Manager
- Security Manager
- Security Architect
- Security Auditor
- Network Architect
- Security Consultant
How to earn CISSP Certification?
Earning CISSP is not just passing a certification exam. You are required to meet the eligibility criteria which states that you must have at least five years of full-time experience in at least two of the eight knowledge domains of cybersecurity.
The Eight domains serve as your curriculum and you need to master them. Those are:
- Domain 1: Security and Risk Management
- Domain 2: Asset Security
- Domain 3: Security Architecture and Engineering
- Domain 4: Communication and Network Security
- Domain 5: Identity and Access Management
- Domain 6: Security Assessment and Testing
- Domain 7: Security Operations
- Domain 8: Software Development Security
CISSP evaluates you on the basis of your expertise in these domains.
Go with the certification only if it is aligned with your immediate career goals.
Now, if you have decided to go for CISSP certification, then the next step is registration. Prepare yourself for the certification exam and register yourself. For this, you need to create a Pearson VUE account which is a leading provider of worldwide, computer-based testing for license and certification exams. Their website tells you all about various testing locations, policies, accommodations, and other information related to the certification exam.
Now comes the preparation process. You can go with self-study but it is recommended that you go with the training that is right for you. You can choose from various training options such as classroom-based, online instructor-led, online self-paced, and even private on-site. Many official training providers have curriculum designed specifically aligned according to the CISSP curriculum and let you go through rigorous training by making reviews of relevant topics and domains.
Now when you are properly prepared for the exam, take the exam, pass it, and get certified.
Cost of the CISSP Certification Exam
The cost of the CISSP certification exam is USD 699. But the cost varies with the location according to the taxes prevailing at the related location, so the exact pricing is different for different locations.
If you wish to reschedule your exam, you will have to pay an extra charge of USD 50 and change the date of the exam.
If you wish to cancel the exam, you will be required to pay a cancellation fee of USD 100.
The CISSP certification is valid for three years, once you meet the requirements and pass the exam. After three years, you can get yourself recertified if you keep paying the annual maintenance fee of USD 125 every year.
You now know that a career in the field of cybersecurity is bright if you add a CISSP certification to your portfolio. To get the certification, you can go with an online training course that trains you according to the way you choose to learn. Self-paced learning, 24-hours teacher assistance, doubt sessions, and career guidance are some of the features of a perfect online training course from an accredited training institute.