Trip, slip and fall accidents are sometimes laughed off as minor events, but they can result in serious injuries. According to the National Flooring Safety Institute, slip, and falls account for over one million visits to the emergency room each year. Injuries from a slip, trip, and fall accident can leave you out of work and struggling to pay your medical bills and other expenses.
If your fall took place on someone else’s property or was caused by another’s negligence, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your injuries. Learn common causes of the trip, slip and fall accidents and how hiring a personal injury attorney can help you prove your case and recover financially.
Table of Contents
Where Slip, Trip, and Fall Injuries Happen
It’s possible to slip, trip, and fall just about anywhere, but they’re more likely to happen in specific conditions. Slip and fall injuries tend to occur on:
- Ice or snow-covered sidewalks, walkways, driveways, and parking lots
- Floors that are wet and slippery
- Flooring and walkways that are uneven
- Floor with loose, bulging, or damaged carpeting or rugs
- Staircases that are broken or have broken railings
- Parking lots, streets, and garages with cracks or potholes
- Floors with objects, debris, or trash that are trip hazards
Proving a Slip, Trip, and Fall Case
An injury from a slip, trip, and fall accident on someone else’s property does not automatically mean the property owner is responsible. To receive compensation for your injury, you must prove the following is true:
- That the property owner had a legal obligation to protect you against an unreasonable risk of harm
- The property owner breached their legal obligation
- The property owner’s breach caused your slip and fall injuries
- That you experienced losses, also called damages, as a result of your injuries
New Jersey courts will look at the relationship between the injured party and property owner and the totality of circumstances. This determines responsibility using an objective analysis of the event to reach a fair conclusion for your case.
How Hiring a Lawyer Can Help
Our personal injury attorneys in Elizabeth, NJ, are experienced in handling trip, slip and fall cases. We’re dedicated to helping clients suffering severe injuries from these accidents. While you focus on healing, we fight on your behalf.
Contact us today for a free, confidential consultation.